CULTURE AND CLIMATE
- “A Review of School Climate Research” (August 2013) by A. Thapa and others. Available at https://rer.sagepub.com/content/83/3/357.full.pdf. Brief available at https://www.schoolclimate.org/climate/documents/policy/sc-brief-v3.pdf.
- “Changing the School Climate Is the First Step to Reform in Many Schools with Federal Improvement Grants”(2012) by Center on Education Policy (CEP), George Washington University. Available at https://www.schoolclimate.org/climate/documents/policy/Education-Policy-Brief-7-12.pdf.
- “Climate and Culture: Why Your Board Should Pay Attention to the Attitudes of Students and Staff” (December, 2005) by D. Stover, National School Board Journal. Available at https://www.tplusl.org/Board-Leadership/Governance/KeyWork/Climate-Resources/climate-and-culture.pdf.
- “Exploring the School Climate-Student Achievement Connection: And Making Sense of Why the First Precedes the Second” by J. Shindler and others, Alliance for the Study of School Climate. Available at https://web.calstatela.edu/centers/schoolclimate/research/School_Climate….
- Making the Case for the Importance of School Climate and its Measurement, Webinar Presentation by D. Osher and C. Boccanfuso for the U.S. Department of Education Safe and Supportive Schools Technical Assistance Center. Available at https://safesupportiveschools.ed.gov/reader.php?upload=/20110303_PresentationFinal 21011SSSTASchoolClimateWebinarpublic.pdf.
- Resilience and Learning Issue, Educational Leadership (September 2013). Available at https://shop.ascd.org/Default.aspx?TabID=55&ProductId=105225641&Educational-Leadership-September-2013-Resilience-and-Learning.
STUDENTS WEIGH IN
- Gallup Student Poll (2013). This new poll tracks the hope, engagement and wellbeing of U.S. students. Available at https://www.gallupstudentpoll.com/home.aspx.
- Motivation, Engagement, and Student Voice (2012) by E.Toshalis and M. J. Nakkula, Student at the Center Series, Jobs for the Future Project. Available at https://www.studentsatthecenter.org/topics/motivation-engagement-and-student-voice.
- The View from the Lighthouse (2014) by Brooke Haycock. Echoes from the Gap Series, Education Trust. Available at https://echoesfromthegap.edtrust.org/.
- The Green Street Guide to Authentic Youth Engagement (2007) by J. Hoffman, S. Stanifort, from the Green Street and the National Youth Engagement Program. Retrieved August 11, 2014 from https://green-street.ca/files/GreenStreetYouthEngagementManual.pdf
MAKING IT HAPPEN
- “Creating an Emotionally Healthy Classroom Environment”(June 25, 2014) by M. Phillips, Edutopia. Available at https://www.edutopia.org/blog/creating-emotionally-healthy-classroom-environment-mark-phillips.
- Getting It Done: Leading Academic Success in Unexpected Schools by K. Chenoweth and C. Theokas (2011); How It’s Being Done: Urgent Lessons from Unexpected Schools (2009) by K. Chenoweth; and It’s Being Done: Academic Success in Unexpected Schools (2008) by K. Chenoweth. Available at https://hepg.org/hep-home/books/getting-it-done_147.
- (August 21, 2013) by V. Zakrzewski, Greater Good Science Center, University of California, Berkeley. Available at https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/how_to_….
- Transforming School Climate and Learning, Beyond Bullying and Compliance (2011) by B. Preble and R. Gordon. Available at https://www.amazon.com/Transforming-School-Climate-Learning-Compliance/dp/1412992680.
- Turning High Poverty Schools into High Performing Schools (2012) by W. Parrett and K. Budge. Available at https://www.ascd.org/Publications/Books/Overview/Turning-High-Poverty-Schools-into-High-Performing-Schools.aspx.
LEADING FOR CHANGE
- Lewin’s Change Management Model: Understanding the Three Stages of Change by Mind Tools website. Available at https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newPPM_94.htm.
- Motion Leadership: The Skinny on Becoming Change Savvy (2010) by M. Fullan. Available at https://www.corwin.com/books/Book234602.
- The Six Secrets of Change: What the Best Leaders Do to Help Their Organizations Survive and Thrive (2009) by M. Fullan. Available at https://www.amazon.com/The-Six-Secrets-Change-Organizations/dp/1118152603.
- “Brown at 60: Great Progress, a Long Retreat and an Uncertain Future” (May 2014) by G. Orfield and others. Civil Rights Project, UCLA. Executive Summary and Report available at https://civilrightsproject.ucla.edu/research/k-12-education/integration-and-diversity/brown-at-60-great-progress-a-long-retreat-and-an-uncertain-future.
- Teaching with Poverty in Mind: What Being Poor Does to Kids’ Brains and What Schools Can Do About It (2009) by E. Jensen. Available at https://www.ascd.org/cache/publications/books/109074.aspx .